Sunday, July 4, 2010

Newport, RI = Ralph Lauren Ad


After our trip to New Haven, we headed straight out to Newport, Rhode Island.  The drive was very nice, especially since Emily E. did the driving  :)

When we arrived, we found some sweet parking and walked back down to the pier.  I have really fond memories of my grandparent's taking me to Rhode Island and getting me Rhode Island style clam chowder, which I remember having no cream, but being more of a clam broth.  I remember it being rather good, the beaches being beautiful and rocky, and the air being salty.  I'm sure it has romanticized in my mind, but since the location of that trip, likely Point Judith, is debated, we made for Newport.  The restaurant, the Black Pearl, won a Rhode Island chowder contest and so it seemed like a good place for Rhode Island chowder.  I was disappointed.  The place was on a pier, we could see yachts, but hardly any water.  The service was curt, but whatever.  The prices were pretty extraordinary, but the biggest disappointment, was the chowder.


Note, the action shot.  The chowder was creamy, well seasoned and plenty clammy, but not Rhode Island style that I remember.  Factor in the $4.50 tiny Sam Adams, and I think I would have not recommend this place, especially for Rhode Island chowder.  To be honest, as New England chowder, it was very good.  The rest of Newport felt like a Ralph Lauren advertisement with the styles and the street layout.  Need more explanation?  They were getting ready to celebrate the America's Cup, a yachting race, so I was pretty out of my league.  The dude with the synthesizer, singing way out range at a little harborside bar helped put me back into a great mood. Eventually, we managed to find a beautiful sunset and had a very nice time.  Next time, we'll try Providence or Point Judith.


Also, there was this store which Emily E. wanted a picture of to celebrate Rodger, her boyfriend.


Ah, sunset pictures!  Don't tell anyone, we had to trespass to get this view.




No comments:

Post a Comment