Monday, June 13, 2011

In Bruges

On Thursday, we went to the British Library.  If you weren’t aware, I’m currently enrolled in an Information Sciences program, which is American Library Association accredited.  This could possibly read Library School.   So, I’ve been thinking a lot about space design, collection and access.  The British Library takes an approach which I am sure has been written about to a much greater degree by people with a much greater perspective.  For my perspective, it was incredible (I may be over using that word, but hey, that is what this trip is about.  I didn’t mention the particular car on the Tube; because, it wasn’t incredible, so please forgive me).  The space was masterfully designed to allow for a museum and rotating exhibit, a meeting space, a café and of course the many reading rooms and business centers.    I could go on about the collection and the museum, some pictures to come, but take a look for what they have.  A sample is Leonardo’s notebook, the first recorded codex of the New Testament, hand written letters from numerous scholars, the notebooks from the doomed first British Antarctic expedition, letters and notes by Darwin and of course, Beatles memorabilia, etc., etc., etc…. It was fantastic.

After some scholarly time, we went back to the Borough Market for a proper fish and chips and Fish! Market.  We also finally had mushy peas.  I’d skip the pea soup next time, but the fish was quite an improvement over the corner shop from last time.  Having had proper fish and chips, a Full English, an ale and English Football, I feel like I’ve properly experienced a good bit of British cuisine.  We’re still planning on doing a tea, but it looks like that will be next week.  Sadly, the markets are mostly closed for the duration of our trip in London since they’re mostly on the weekend.   Desperation is beginning to set to do the last of the things I’d like to do in London.  The city has grown on me and I hope to return someday, but for now, it’s a focus on what time we have left.

So why won’t we have the weekend in London?  This morning, and 8:20am (local time), we departed from Heathrow and around 1pm (local time) we arrived into Bruges.  Bruges has been sort of a joke since it was added to the itinerary.  Everyone I have spoken with about it has said something to the effect of, “Oh Bruges!  It’s beautiful!  But you’re spending more than a day there?”  There is also of course the weird flick In Bruges which has us using foul language on every utterance of the fair city.  Okay, so jokes aside, we’re here.  The airport was fine (we had one silly event where an automatic door failed to open and the entire plane stood, myself included, completely clueless as to how to compel a door to open that normally does so on its own.  Finally one brute from the flight forced the door open.  Could you imagine?  Manually opening a door?  Really!) and the trains were orderly if not a bit late, as expected on the continent.  Arrival into the Bruges station was followed by about a mile journey into the city.  It is lovely, as described.  Old, narrow roads snake through suddenly turning without warning in a disorganized manner that leaves a weary traveler ready for waffles and beer. 

Our charming hotel is picturesque next to the canal, which smells a bit so it cuts both ways and a little out of the center, making it quiet and comfortable.  The whole of the city is no more than a mile across, as our walk proved.  After settling in, we ventured out to see the chocolate shops, the waffle peddlers and the beer – and a Michelangelo (the reason we’re in Bruges).   After losing and finding our way again, we happened upon an inviting salon that served us some much needed water, the Bruges Zot beer (Zot = Fool) and a waffle that made the snobbish waiter’s manners welcome.  The beer was exquisite with fruity notes and a sharp flavor.  The waffle was light and yeasty, not entirely sweet.  It was topped (our choice) by tart cherries, sweet fresh whipped cream and powdered sugar. It made the trip to Bruges worth it. We haven’t even had the chocolate yet! 

Oh yeah, then we went to the church that houses the Michelangelo.  It does not deserve the short shrift I’m giving it, but I imagine Emily’s forthcoming book will cover it much better than I can.  Needless to say, it was moving and fascinating in the way that his sculptures always are.  We left the church to the heavens having opened up.  Making our way back to the hotel through the rain made the city feel much bigger than it was and as I sit here drying off, and hoping my only pair of shoes are also, the warm computer is quite nice. 
I imagine we’ll head out to dinner shortly, hopefully to more agreeable weather.  By the time I post this, it will likely be Sunday or Monday as we are without internet.  I’ll add pictures then, too.  Bruges seems like a lovely weekend get-away and I’m looking forward to the FULL day tomorrow with Emily.  Perhaps, more details to come – if you don’t mind the short novel I seem to be writing.

PS - No pictures yet, Emily has the camera.  For an update this morning, we found excellent beer in Bruges: Oerbier.  It was incredible.  I highly recommend it.  We had it at a great pub that was recommended to us during a brewery tour.

In more important updates, our flat has been without internet for a few days now, sadly.  This is minimizing the contact we have from home.  I'll try to be in touch from the office a bit, but of course, that requires me to be in the office and likely, for you not to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment