Saturday, June 4, 2011

So Far, So Good

Ethan, here.  I've had a few misadventures so far.  Nothing serious.  The SNL London office is in a wonderfully easy to get to and central location - directly next to the the Bank of London, and between two major Underground stops, it even has a sign for the number right outside.  Still, those who know me will not be surprised that on my first solo attempt to reach it, I circumnavigated the office for a full 35 minutes.  I'm now very familiar with the area and leading tours on my lunch breaks of all of the alleys that dead end.  Speaking of which Change Alley, featured prominently in one my favorite novels, is next to SNL London.  Don't go there - it is the Bermuda Triangle of London.  I survived, clearly, but I may never be the same again.  Don't worry, I made it there fine the second day.  On the plus side, I've been outfitted with a cell phone (Blackberry), and been led to the Borough Market - where I plan to return, with Emily this time, today.

Next, I bought beer.  An endeavorer I had not found so difficult since I was 19 and in college (sorry Mom).  This is probably one of those you-had-to-be-there stories, but first, the can was not sold as it was displayed (as a single), then the four pack had no bar code (upgraded to the pint size can - much bigger than the expression), and my credit card did not have a "chip" (the latest technology not at all necessary in Amercuh).

Lastly, yesterday evening we went for Pakistani food and the Needoo Grill.  Pictures to follow.  It was awesome.  We're 2 for 2 on restaurants (which is good given their price).  Beautifully spiced lamb and eggplant lentils.  Tremendous naan with pumpkin in the middle.  Two types of Lassis that served as resets from the array of flavors.  It was resplendent.

Okay, well the morning is wasting and there is a English friendly later today - so off to the London Museum, the British Library and who knows where (if Emily has a say, Liberty of London).  I promise I'll figure out how to work Emily's camera and post some of the great pics - or I'll have Emily do it when she posts about her incredible trip to Windsor (yes, that's a teaser).

  

No comments:

Post a Comment